General Expectations and Competencies
The General Manager is expected to work 40-50 hours per week. The General Manager must clock in and out when at work.
- Budget Management
- Ethical Conduct
- Communication Proficiency
- Computer Proficiency
- Problem Solving and Solution Oriented Thinking
- Customer Service
- Eye for Detail
- Positive Attitude
General Manger duties include but are not limited to:
The General Manager is responsible for managing all aspects of restaurant operations to ensure optimal performance and continual improvement in guest service, employee management, sales, property appearance and financial control.
- Adhere to all payroll policies and due dates.
- Ensure all invoices are paid promptly.
- Maintain cash flow weekly and report possible areas of concern to the Company. Work with the Company to develop and implement strategies for dealing with available net funds.
- Maintain organization of invoices and employee files as per policy requirements. Adhere to Company standards of record-keeping.
- Keep menu items updated on Toast.
- Maintain reservations through Tock.
- Keep menus up-to-date using online platform and ensure they are printed in time fr dinner service.
- Read and respond to emails promptly.
- Oversee the interview and on-boarding process for new employees as per Company policy. Train new staff in accordance with Company standards.
- Maintain employee files as per policy guidelines. Ensure that labor to sales ratios do not exceed the rate set by the Company through effective scheduling of employees.
- Schedule front of house and back of house staff so as to ensure that Otto’s is set up for success. Work with the kitchen manager to ensure that the restaurant’s needs are met by staff in the kitchen while meeting labor costs set by the Company.
- Ensure that the company’s standards of customer service is met by all staff.
- Develop and initiate training sessions for existing staff that focus on quality of service and product.
- Discipline staff as per Company policy and generally avoid creating or allowing situations to develop that are in conflict with our values as well as our legal obligations as employers.
Front of House
- Periodically check the quality of both service and product. In the case of the front of house, check the quality of drinks as well as the skill and knowledge of bartenders.
- Coordinate the cleaning and maintenance of all equipment.
- Ensure that all parts of the restaurant and grounds are cleaned each morning and throughout service as needed.
- Ensure that the bar inventory is maintained and accounted for properly.
- Provide guidance and leadership to the Head Bartender.
- Ensure that the kitchen meets and exceeds health code requirements so that the restaurant receives a score on the health department inspection deemed appropriate by the Company.
- Work with the Kitchen Manager and/or Executive Chef to maintain a food cost ratio set by the Company.
- Provide guidance and leadership to the Kitchen Manager and/or Executive Chef.
- Work with SSH to develop and maintain cohesive marketing and branding strategy.
- Ensure brand consistency and guest experience.
- Participate in community awareness as set out by management.
- Ensure maintenance and upkeep of property and grounds.
- Ensure safety and security of guests and staff on the property.
- Liaison with landlord as needed.
The General Manager will report to SSH staff and comply with the SSH Manager’s Guideline. The General Manager must maintain an effective working relationship with SSH staff.
The General Manager must be willing to go above and beyond, and take on additional responsibilities and duties not not stated above, as needed.
- Restaurant experience
- Understanding of how all departments- bar, kitchen and front of house- operate in a restaurant.
- Current TABC Certificate.
- Current Food Manager’s Certification.
- Must be able to lift up to and occasionally over 50 lbs on a regular basis.
- Ability to walk, stand and work in a fast-paced, stressful environment.
- Able to maintain a clean personal appearance at all times.
- Must be able to work during peak times, including on the weekends and during holidays.