- Full Time
General Expectations and Competencies
The Sous Chef is expected to work 40 hours per week, as needed, with sufficient time allocated to prep, line and expo work.
- Communication Proficiency
- Problem Solving and Solution-Oriented Thinking
- Eye for Detail
- Positive Attitude
- Team Oriented
The Sous Chef duties include but are not limited to:
Contribute to the food program through food preparation and kitchen systems. To be successful in this role, the ideal candidate will have culinary experience and proven management skills.
- Help in the management of all food prep.
- Execute high quality plates both design and taste wise.
- Ensure that the kitchen operates in a timely way that meets quality standards.
- Fill in for the Kitchen Manager in planning and directing food preparation when necessary.
- Resourcefully solve any issues that arise and seize control of any problematic situation.
- Assist Kitchen Manager in creative process behind new food items, and working with the General Manager and Culinary Director to price and change menu items.
- Responsible for communicating any new menu changes with General Manager, Kitchen Manager, Bar Manager, Culinary Director and other employees.
- Responsible for training employees on any new changes alongside Kitchen Manager.
- Report any conflict and poor behavior of kitchen employees and food runners to General Manger.
- Store all food products in compliance with health and safety regulations.
- Ensure the kitchen is clean and organized.
- Maintain kitchen systems such as kitchen organization and opening and closing procedures.
- Ensure proper preparation for food service.
- Work the line and expo station throughout service as needed.
- Any other duties and responsibility needed to ensure the effective operation of the kitchen.
- 2+ years of experience as a Sous Chef or other kitchen leadership role.
- Understanding of various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and procedures.
- Excellent record of kitchen and staff management.
- Accuracy and speed in handling emergency situations and providing solutions.
- Familiar with industry’s best practices and food safety rules and regulations.
- Ability to walk, stand and work in a fast-paced, stressful environment.
- Current Texas Food Handler’s or Food Manager’s Certificate.
- Able to lift boxes up to 50lbs on occasion.
- Must be able to work during peak times, including on the weekends and during holidays.